The California State University (CSU) system is comprised of 23 campuses across California. The CSUs offer students affordable access to undergraduate and graduate education. Based on reputation and selectivity, these are, in my opinion, the top 6 Cal State Universities:
6. San Jose State University - the school is located in Northern California’s Silicon Valley, making it the ideal college for students pursuing careers in computer science, information technology, business management, marketing, and finance. SJSU is also known for its excellent engineering program, which is ranked #18 for non-doctorate programs by US News and World Report.
5. Cal State University, Fullerton - CSUF’s Mihaylo College of Business and Economics is the largest accredited business school on the West Coast, and includes one of the largest undergraduate accounting programs in the US. The nursing program is extremely competitive and offers unique specializations in midwifery and anesthesia. Additionally, Fullerton boasts strong programs in engineering (#45 in non-doctorate engineering programs, US News), kinesiology, communications, and teaching.
4. California State Polytechnic University, Pomona - As a polytechnic institute, Cal Poly Pomona specializes in science and engineering fields. Its engineering department is one of the best in the country, reaching #11 for non-doctorate engineering programs, and #5 in the nation in civil engineering, computer engineering and electrical/electronic/communications engineering by US News. In addition, the Collins College of Hospitality Management is one of the best in the world and was ranked #19 for Best Hospitality and Hotel Management Schools in the World by CEO World Magazine. Other strong programs include business administration, graphic design, and architecture.
3. Cal State University, Long Beach - CSU Long Beach is ranked #26 by US News for Best Regional Universities West. With its ever-growing reputation for strong programs in business administration, nursing, criminal justice, and teaching, Long Beach State continues to be more and more selective each year, admitting less than 32% of applicants in 2018.
2. San Diego State University - SDSU’s Fowler College of Business is ranked in the top 10 best business schools in California by US News. With the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center and the Zahn Innovation Platform Launchpad, SDSU is recognized as one of the top universities for entrepreneurship. Additional popular majors include psychology, criminal justice, and kinesiology.
1. California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo (SLO) - Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is ranked #12 by US News for Best Regional Universities West. With a record low acceptance rate of 25% in 2019, Cal Poly SLO is by far the most competitive and most exclusive Cal State University. As a polytechnic institute, SLO specializes in science and engineering fields. Its engineering program is one of the best in the nation, ranking #8 overall by US News for Best Non-Doctorate Undergraduate Engineering Programs. In fact, SLO ranks in the top 3 for non-doctorate schools for the following engineering specializations: aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical, civil, computer, industrial/manufacturing, electrical/electronic, and mechanical.