Applying to college can be a stressful process. Here are some helpful tips in order to minimize stress:
● The best way to remove some of the unnecessary stress is to plan ahead!
● Manage your expectations! Begin by creating a list of schools and ensure that you have schools for these three categories: safeties, targets, dream schools.
● Create your list of schools and thoroughly research each major that you will be applying to at each school! Some majors have additional applications, it’s a good idea to know exactly what each school expects you to do, so there are no “surprises” in the application process.
● Set attainable goals!
● Create an outline of what needs to be done; include the various parts of the applications and the deadlines.
● Create your own deadlines and get the work done early, that way you are not rushing last minute to turn in your applications.
● Create a checklist for each application-including sending in test scores, transcripts, and other additional items.
● Start early! Do not wait until you begin your senior year; start this process early in your Junior year. Start researching colleges, majors, and application requirements.
● Ask your teachers for letters of recommendation towards the end of your junior year, and then kindly ask them again when senior year begins.
● Ideally, have the test score you are happy with before senior year begins, that way you can focus on your classes and grades.
● Ask your counselor for help! There is no such thing as a silly question. It is part of our job to help guide you through the process. Plus, we have already done this many times before!
● Start writing your essays as soon as the prompts come out! You will do many revisions, so give yourself time to do so!
● The more time you give yourself to get things done, the better. It is better to be done early rather than scrambling at the last minute.
● Take time for self-care!● Don’t be afraid to ask for help and be sure to listen to your counselor’s advice!